TBT: Rome, Italy

Rome, Italy. June 2008.

Touched down on European soil, life changed f o r e v e r.

Rome1

Thinking back, we were the tourists that every native or seasoned traveler hates: we were a group of fifty-one American high school students, we were led around the city in a massive tour bus, we blocked entire sidewalks while shouting ignorantly in English in our flip flops & short shorts. Our tour guide even walked in front of us with a little flag to keep us all together. We were probably so obnoxious it’s almost cringe-worthy, but this first trip to Europe in June 2008 was my first taste of flight and my gateway to the world.

221881_1034582032288_9121_n 227756_1034582112290_9775_n 227946_1034617233168_65_n 230146_1034581632278_644_n

In high school, our Latin teacher led us on a trip to Italy and Greece the summer after junior year. We started in Rome for five days, then made our way down to Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri and eventually a few stops in Greece. In Rome: winding skinny streets, indulgent gelato post-every meal, Trevi Fountain coin tosses, goggling at the designer stores dotting Via Condotti, the sun beating down and roasting my fair east coast skin in a Mediterranean summer, legally drinking alcohol (at 17!), endless pasta and PIZZA, more old churches and cathedrals and museums steeped in culture in history than we had ever seen in our short time on this vast planet. I was with all of my best friends — who are still my best friends — and we were having the time of our lives.

224226_1034581992287_8799_n 222971_1034583312320_302_n224355_1034723195817_9568_n

I haven’t been back to the Eternal City since that trip, and though I visited Venice in 2012, Italy and I aren’t even close to being done with each other yet (then again… is it possible to get tired of Italy?). I’d love to return to Rome as an adult and take it all in with eyes that have seen lots of new European cities since our initial meeting in 2008.

Travel is really important because we, as humans, can get too comfortable in our own little worlds. I think if you don’t meet people in other places, other cultures, [the world] becomes something that you’re ignorant about, and it becomes easier to treat people like “the other,” and that’s dangerous.
-Amy Toensing

Have you been to Roma?

• Reply classiccosmopolite

I spent some time in Italy (and Rome) this summer. I blogged about it here: http://classiccosmopolite.wordpress.com/category/rome/
    Next time you go (and you will!), explore Trastevere. It is a beautiful neighborhood in Rome–I had the best four cheese gnocchi there!

October 30, 2014 at 9:54 am
    • Reply Kristen Hopf

I’m already looking forward to exploring Trastevere & my future, unplanned trip back to Roma!

October 30, 2014 at 9:20 pm
  • Reply papict

Your post made me Romesick. I absolutely loved Rome and have a perpetual longing to return. I am generally not a city-phile but I don’t think I could ever tire of Rome.

October 30, 2014 at 1:29 pm
    • Reply Kristen Hopf

I feel the same way about London. I will never tire of it and will always miss it and always yearn for it!

October 30, 2014 at 9:18 pm
      • Reply papict

I lived just outside London for five years so I very much have a love-hate relationship with it. It is still wonderful to visit there but I have never regretted moving away.

October 30, 2014 at 9:20 pm
        • Reply Kristen Hopf

Haha! I think I might understand what you mean. Every time I’ve left London I’ve always been very ready to leave, but within a few weeks I’m back to unbearably missing it. I studied there for awhile in college and I’d love to go back, but I have lots of other places to explore first 😉

October 30, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Rome is perfection <3

November 5, 2014 at 8:51 am
  • Reply fabiantarango

Pretty jealous of both your domain name, and the fact that you’ve been to Italy right now.. I’ll get over it, but interesting blog 🙂 thanks for checking out mine!

November 26, 2014 at 10:19 am

Haha! Thank you! 🙂

November 26, 2014 at 10:20 am
  • Reply Anna

Piazza Navonna! I know it’s touristy as all hell, but it was one of my favorite spots in Rome.

August 31, 2015 at 2:25 pm
  • Reply Peru: a celebratory anniversary video | skyward eyes

[…] day one year ago, Mollie, Julie & I were experiencing our second wonder of the world together (#1 was the Colosseum!)(and we’ve since visited Chichén Itzá in Mexico!). To commemorate this wildly exciting life […]

February 5, 2016 at 8:35 am
  • Reply Postcard from Chichen Itza (& jumping into a sink hole!) | skyward eyes

[…] of the world that we’d experienced in our little lifetimes – the four of us toured the Colosseum together in high school, James visited the Taj Mahal in college, and last year, Mollie, Julie and I […]

February 25, 2016 at 2:36 pm
  • Reply 24 hours in Montgomery, Alabama | skyward eyes

[…] to in a heartbeat if presented the opportunity – places like Lima, Berlin, Chicago, Greece, Rome, San Diego (or San Francisco, or anywhere in California), Prague, and of course… London. […]

March 24, 2016 at 10:45 am
  • Reply skyward eyes - TBT: Greece

[…] a week or so in Rome, Pompeii and Capri, we took an overnight ferry to Delphi, Greece – aka 51 teenagers with […]

July 28, 2016 at 8:18 am