Weekend Wanderlust: Iceland

No matter how many plane tickets I buy or places I go, the list of new countries, cities and experiences I want to escape to continues to grow. In the Weekend Wanderlust series, I will be featuring a place I’ve never been to & armchair-travel there via photos and videos (I’ll take what I can get!). If you’ve been to the place I’m lusting over, please feel free to leave tips or recommendations — encouragement to take the plunge & book the flight is always welcome!

This week on Weekend Wanderlust: ICELAND
road

From what I’ve heard, no one ever goes to Iceland and comes back like, “Eh, I could’ve missed it.” It’s always something more like:

“GO. NOW. IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.”

In the book The Geography of Bliss (have you read it? So good!), author Eric Weiner travels to 10 countries to unearth what each culture defines as “happiness.” I was so intrigued by his account on Iceland: in the US, one of the first things someone asks upon meeting is “What do you do?” as if your occupation is your sole defining feature — as if the work you do to make money is the most important aspect of your life.

In Iceland, the stigma of failure is practically nonexistent. An Icelandic person can go through life working several different jobs in several different realms — if he or she decides they don’t like the work they’re doing, they simply quit and pick up something they’ve deemed more interesting at that point in their life. Doesn’t that sound so freeing? It provides so much more room to allow the creative juices to flow. The people of Iceland do what makes sense to them/what works for them when the time feels right.reykjavikblue-lagoon

Of course, there are so many different factors in Icelandic life that are different from the United States, and those differences are probably what make this lifestyle work up there. The people of Iceland are really what draws me to the place, but when I think about everything else there is to do and see in that country, and a whole new surge of longing zips through me. I’d love to spend a long time in Reykjavik and the surrounding countryside, get a taste of a strange and unique little culture, maybe catch the Northern Lights, let the fresh crisp air and landscapes bring me back to life.

Have you been to Iceland? What was your experience like?Iceland-pictures-87Iceland

• Reply SandysJar

Reblogged this on Ideas in My Jar and commented:
    Oh, I agree. The world is full of wonderful places. Don’t get trapped in your own little world. Enjoy.

November 8, 2014 at 11:24 am
    • Reply Kristen Hopf

Thanks for reblogging 🙂 So true! Get out of your little bubble and go!

November 10, 2014 at 8:43 am
  • Reply M-R

I’ve heard only amazed and wonderingly positive comments, too … One of my favourite crime authors comes from there; and reading his books reminds me that it is still just another country full of people doing day-to-day things … but it doesn’t seem like that, does it ? And there was that WONDERFUL Danish TV series called “The Eagle”, wherein the protagonist comes from Iceland and is known for somewhat paranormal abilities … Yes indeed, it must be fascinating …

November 8, 2014 at 1:32 pm
    • Reply Kristen Hopf

Yes it definitely seems like a very intriguing place! I caught part of the Ben Stiller movie “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” last night which partly takes place in Iceland & the wanderlust just came surging back.

November 10, 2014 at 7:26 am
      • Reply M-R

Betcha get there before all that many years have passed …

November 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm
  • Reply Moani Hood

These photos are gorgeous and travel inspiring! I would definitely put Iceland on my list of places to see.

November 8, 2014 at 1:46 pm
  • Reply papict

I have technically been to Iceland as I had a flight stop-over there but I don’t count that since no exploring was accomplished. Even that tiny taster, however, has left me wanting to go back. It’s on my list for when my kids are older or even for when my husband and I are empty nesters.

November 9, 2014 at 8:25 am
    • Reply Kristen Hopf

I also had a layover in Iceland – on my flight back from Glasgow, in fact! We’ll get there eventually!!

November 10, 2014 at 7:24 am
  • Reply melissajane14

Thanks for the addition to my reading list. Sounds like a great read. Iceland is also on my list. Apparently, the average height of the Icelandic male is quite tall, so I gotta go check that out…soon. Best wishes! Melissa 🙂

November 9, 2014 at 4:45 pm
    • Reply Kristen Hopf

Another reason to head to Iceland… 😉 thanks!

November 10, 2014 at 7:16 am

Love this series of posts you’re doing!! So glad we share a mutual wanderlust for Iceland. Watch this video – since you need more inspiration to book the flight 😉

November 9, 2014 at 7:06 pm
    • Reply Kristen Hopf

LOOOOVE! We should probably go together. It only seems right.

November 10, 2014 at 7:19 am
  • Reply ElizabethAnn

Hello! Just seen you followed me, thank you – funny this is your latest post as Iceland was one of my first. Incredible place – check out some entries on it i posted here: http://socrethics.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/iceland-evening-1/

November 10, 2014 at 11:58 am
  • Reply The Satori Saga

Fantabulous post.i guess it’s Iceland so expected:)

November 11, 2014 at 1:53 am

I didn’t know failure was seen this way in Iceland’s culture, it’s great! I want to go now, too!!

November 11, 2014 at 3:34 am
  • Reply hannahekeenan

Hi there! I’m not sure if you seen my blog post but I just recently came back from a trip to Iceland and I have to say you’re 100% correct when you say people come back saying “YOU HAVE TO GO!” because it really is like that! It was an amazing place to see and so different! Whoever you are or wherever you come from you will love it! I’ll leave the link to my post for more detail but it is an amazing place to see!

November 21, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi Hannah, thanks for your comment! I’ll definitely check out your blog to see how your trip to Iceland was!

November 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm
  • Reply galeraadventures

Our trip to Iceland was amazing. Full of waterfalls, glaciers and interesting food. We ate everything from puffin to fermented shark. It’s a “must visit” kind of place.

December 3, 2014 at 12:37 pm

It’s definitely at the top of my list!

December 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm
  • Reply fjpeter1961

To answer your question… Yes, I have been to Iceland and fell in love with it, too! And my experience was like… http://frankjpeter.com/2014/11/14/welcome-to-iceland/
    All the best to you in travels and life, young lady!

December 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Iceland is so intriguing! Thanks.

December 13, 2014 at 7:02 pm