Weekend Wanderlust: Switzerland

No matter how many plane tickets I buy or places I go, the list of new countries, cities and experiences I want to escape to continues to grow. In the Weekend Wanderlust series, I will be featuring a place I’ve never been to & armchair-travel there via photos and videos (I’ll take what I can get!). If you’ve been to the place I’m lusting over, please feel free to leave tips or recommendations — encouragement to take the plunge & book the flight is always welcome!

This week on Weekend Wanderlust: SWITZERLAND

Before leaving to study in London, I thought about some European countries I’d like to visit while on that side of the pond. Switzerland was at the very tip top of the list — it’s what I now refer to as “my favorite country I’ve never been to.” I actually don’t know much about the place beyond the well-known things that it’s recognized for — the skiing, the chocolate, the watches, the languages, the lakes, the efficiency… but I’ve been lusting over it longer than any other country.

This year, when I went back to London, I didn’t know when the next time I’d be able to make it back to Europe would be and I knew I wanted to explore a new place while I had the chance. I could have chosen Switzerland, but squeezed in trips to Prague and Glasgow instead.

Why?

I think my expectations of Switzerland are so high that I’ve been holding off on visiting until I have the opportunity (aka can afford) to make my visit as perfect as can be. I’m thinking Hemingway-inspired train rides through snowy mountains, hearty meals, clean cities, kind people, sunny days by lakes… siiiiiiiiiigggghhhhh…..

Have you been to Switzerland? I’m looking ahead to 2015, and while a trip to Europe is not looking likely, you never know what could happen….! What cities did you prefer? What are some must-dos?

www.triplingo.comjacekproniewicz.comwww.zuerich.cowww.splendorsofeurope.cohttp://pichost.me/1782870/

Other posts you might enjoy:

• Reply Mani (A New Life Wandering)

Beautiful

December 13, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Beautiful indeeeed!

December 14, 2014 at 9:34 pm
  • Reply Jane Foard Thompson

You are right to wait until you can afford the trip! Switzerland is a very expensive place to visit, even for me with family who live there. If you want snow, January through March is your best bet. Traveling by train throughout the Alps is an awesome experience, and there are lots of villages where the train stops. You can simply walk around and eat, then board the next train, or stay and spend the night. Zermatt, in the west, is beautiful and full of history, as is Pontresina, in the east. I know eastern Switzerland best, and have yet to explore enough of Zurich. For skiing, the Laax to Flims area is outstanding. Yes, it is clean and the meals are hearty, and you’ll find sunny days mostly high in the Alps, or the lucky sunny day elsewhere, but I’d go to Holland if you’re looking for the friendliest people.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. If you go back through the archives there are quite a few posts with pictures from Switzerland.

December 14, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for the tips!! There is so much to explore that I want to be able to spend a long time to experience as much as possible. I’ll definitely check out your posts for some wanderlust inspiration! 🙂

December 14, 2014 at 9:35 pm

book Switzerland + Slovenia! haha 🙂
    I’ve never been to Switzerland either, but I would like to go for skiing! When money falls from the trees I think I’ll be able to go!

December 15, 2014 at 8:23 am

Slovenia is seriously at the top of my Europe list — your pictures and stories have convinced me! 🙂

December 15, 2014 at 10:25 am
  • Reply Mons

Oh, Switzerland is on top of my list as well. Unfortunately, I’ve been waiting for the same reasons as you. Hopefuly, by the end of 2015, we would have visited it. fingers crossed 🙂

December 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

Fingers crossed! I think it will be worth the wait 🙂

December 16, 2014 at 10:38 am
  • Reply dancinginaugustrain

the photos are incredible! jealous x 10

December 21, 2014 at 5:10 pm
  • Reply rfa1976

You HAVE to go so get to saving the bickies you need!!! I have been twice and done exactly what you described, sunny day by the lake in lucern and a train ride to jungfrau from lauterbrunen (ignore the crappy spelling!!) point is, what ever pics you see or vids you watch…. The real thing is twice as good!!!!

December 30, 2014 at 2:32 am
  • Reply Jelena

I love your blog & I’m nominating you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! 🙂 Here’s what you gotta do to accept the award: http://100daysofsunshine.org/2015/01/07/very-inspiring-blogger-award/

January 7, 2015 at 5:26 pm
  • Reply blueribbonfair

These photos are almost as close to being there from home as you can get.

January 19, 2015 at 5:19 pm