The labyrithine streets of Cusco

img_3461First of all, let me get some credit for the use of the word “labyrinthine” — too good, amirite?

This post will be a short one, but I thought giving some special attention to the convoluted, twisting motor avenues and pedestrian pathways of Cusco was in order. Before February, I’d never been to Peru, never been to South America — nowhere I’ve traveled to in Europe could compare to what I experienced in Peru. It’s probably/definitely just my American need for efficiency and structure kicking in, but from the moment we landed in the Lima airport, there was a sense of disorganization. Sometimes it was really frustrating and a little alarming. Other times, like while we wandered the streets of Cusco, it was exciting and liberating.

At home in Philly, the streets in the (older parts of the) city are laid out in numerical order in a grid-like fashion. In Colorado, the streets in some towns and cities are named in alphabetical order, which makes it really easy to determine when you’ll be approaching the street you’re looking for. In Cusco, aside from the major roads, the streets twisted like snakes, winding and narrow and long. Walking along the few-inch-wide “sidewalks”, we were never really quite sure of what we’d find when we turned the bend. Would it be clear? Would there be another group of people who we’d have to squeeze by my mumbling “excuse me’s” in broken Spanish? Would there be a car zipping through at lightning speed along the bumpily paved roads? Who could tell?! A surprise beyond every corner! What a rush!IMG_3200IMG_3191DCIM100GOPROOn a few occasions, we found ourselves a little lost finding our way back to the hotel. On those occasions, we used an obsolete, old-fashioned tool called a “map” to determine our location and meander our way to our destination. I felt like Lewis & Clark. So primitive.
IMG_3188DCIM100GOPRO DCIM100GOPROIMG_3194 IMG_3211

Do these photos of Cusco’s streets remind you of any place you’ve ever been?

Other posts you might enjoy:

• Reply densington

To be honest, it does not remind me of anything I have ever seen before…it looks just so unique. And your beautiful pictures actually make me wanna go to Cusco right away. Really nice 🙂

April 6, 2015 at 9:33 am

Thank you! It was definitely a beautiful & unique place.

April 6, 2015 at 6:07 pm
  • Reply Jessica Kim

Oh, how I miss Cusco. Thanks for sharing. Took me down a memory lane. 🙂

April 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Glad you enjoyed! 🙂

April 6, 2015 at 6:07 pm

That last photo!!!! Your descriptions remind me of the times I traveled to Guatemala in high school. Totally unfamiliar territory, never knowing what’s going to happen around the next corner, amazing landscapes unlike anything in any other place I’ve been… It’s so fun to see parts of the world that aren’t necessarily included in the *top* places where people travel. So much beauty to be taken in!!

April 7, 2015 at 6:33 pm

AGREEEEEEED Miss Hannah Lane! So exciting and so worth seeing!

April 7, 2015 at 9:56 pm

ugh sorry, Mrs. Hannah Myer*

April 7, 2015 at 9:56 pm
  • Reply Reanna Clark

Yes, this reminds me of Fes in Morocco! The Medina is over 1000 years old, and basically no maps (electronic, paper or otherwise) are accurate. We spent over an hour trying to find our accommodation. It was overwhelming, but at the same time exhilarating getting lost in the city. I imagine Cusco is quite similar, it looks beautiful!

April 8, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Fes (and Morocco as a whole) sounds awesome!! It’s been on my to-visit list for a long time — and I love getting lost in a new place so I’ll have to get there soon. Thanks for sharing & stopping by!

April 8, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Haha, that map tool is so ancient lol jk! They are so practical when you know, your fingers mess up the googlemaps perspective #firstworldproblems. Omg, I just realized I had never been to SA before, I would love to someday soon!!

April 21, 2015 at 3:56 pm

The old trusty map never let us down 🙂 I had never been to South America either. It was AWESOME.

April 21, 2015 at 4:35 pm
  • Reply Tom Clausen

Great to see these Peru photos! I was there for 7 weeks in Sept- Oct. & Nov. 2014 and loved it… so nice to be reminded of being there!

May 11, 2015 at 4:29 pm