scenes from 24 hours in moab, utah

We spent one day in Utah. 24 hours. A quick trip, a blur of roadtrippin’ and hiking and “glamping” and life-loving.

It was fast, but we saw a lot and got a good idea of what Moab is all about — big red rocks, camping, mountain biking, and climbing. Big time climbing. WORLD. RENOWNED. CLIMBING.

IMG_6063

Unfortunately, none of us are climbers… but we were still confident that Moab was an unmissable destination and we were pumped beyond pumped to check out what all the people come for: Arches & Canyonlands National Parks (!!!!!!!). We arrived in Moab in the afternoon and immediately felt like we had been transported to another planet… how is it possible that place is on Earth?

We spent our first day at Arches National Park, driving through, hiking, testing out the comfortability of the rocks for napping (not recommended), and generally just having a ball of a time. What can we say, we’re just really great and have really great personalities. ~insider~

IMG_2851 IMG_2913IMG_2890IMG_2859IMG_2853IMG_2838 IMG_2805 IMG_2786 IMG_2798 IMG_2731 IMG_6122 IMG_6119 IMG_6118 IMG_6104That night after QUITE an interesting few hours at the Moab Brewery, we did something none of us had ever done and “camped” in a “tent” in Utah — admittedly the tent had a rug, a full king-sized bed, a dresser & end tables, and a small fireplace. It was far from a rustic experience, but it was exciting to be sleeping out in the Utah desert, just a tent zipper away from the stars and cacti and potential wild animals of the night (none came) (I wanted a coyote to come scratching at the tent wall) (how thrilling would that have been???). It was an awesome experience — if you’re interested in doing something different, check out Moab Under Canvas! The staff were all super friendly/likely super stoned, and helped us make a fire that night while we played rummy and drank wine in bed. Xoxo Richard.

IMG_2931 IMG_2926 IMG_2920 IMG_2919 The next day we woke up and headed straight to Canyonlands National Park. Canyonlands is MASSIVE, and we were only able to catch a quick peak of it before we had to head back to Denver. Canyonlands resembled what I imagine the Grand Canyon to be like even more than the Colorado National Monument did, and I MUST go back someday to explore the park more thoroughly. It was totally different than Arches — and at the risk of sounding completely and totally idiotic/obvious, Canyonlands was filled with vast, deep canyons while Arches was dotted with crazy rock formations and… you guessed it… arches.

IMG_2975 IMG_2969 IMG_2965 IMG_2963 IMG_2960 IMG_2957

Have you ever been to Arches or Canyonlands? Which did you prefer?

• Reply camerapacker

The American Southwest has been one of my favorite destinations for years. Nice px.

June 8, 2015 at 8:36 am

Thank you! Can’t wait to do some more SW exploring

June 8, 2015 at 10:57 am
  • Reply Jelena

It looks so much like Arizona 🙂

June 8, 2015 at 9:58 am

I’ve never been to Arizona but Canyonlands looked similar to what I’ve seen of the Grand Canyon in pictures!

June 8, 2015 at 10:58 am
      • Reply Jelena

yes definitely & similar to Sedona too 🙂

June 8, 2015 at 11:42 am

Sedona is on my Arizona bucket list!

June 8, 2015 at 1:01 pm
          • Jelena

Great! 🙂 Happy to hear that

June 8, 2015 at 2:06 pm
  • Reply Moani Hood

I loved them both for different reasons, though we didn’t get to spend much time in either park. Canyonlands did remind me of the Grand Canyon a bit too. Arches was just so unique, but Canyonlands was so amazingly vast. I’d love to go back someday and spend more time hiking around.

June 8, 2015 at 11:46 am

I agree — Arches was unlike anything I’ve ever seen before and so beautiful in its own unique way! I also can’t wait to someday get back and do more thorough hiking 🙂

June 8, 2015 at 1:02 pm
  • Reply Laura (PA Pict)

It looks like you had a great time travelling around and hanging with friends. My husband and I have itchy feet to get back to the South-West and take the kids out exploring in all the different desert landscapes and all the wonderful national parks there. My husband has been to Arches but I never have so that it on our To Do list for when we do go.

June 8, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Arches was incredible! I definitely recommend it and there were plenty of kids running all over the place too. It was like a giant natural playground for them to climb and run. Hope you make it out there soon!!

June 8, 2015 at 1:03 pm
      • Reply Laura (PA Pict)

The older three have been to Joshua Tree National Park but only the oldest remembers it. The two who could walk did exactly as you describe and were scampering all over the rocks. There is no better playground than the great outdoors.

June 8, 2015 at 1:12 pm

1000000000% agreed 🙂

June 8, 2015 at 1:23 pm
  • Reply Melissa Whitney

Looks like you had an incredible time! You have some amazing photos!! I have yet to visit the Canyonlands, but that is just a reason to go back. The arches are absolutely fascinating. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

June 8, 2015 at 3:01 pm

I think it’s impossible to take a bad photo at Arches 🙂

June 8, 2015 at 5:12 pm

These photos are OUT OF THIS WORLD. I feel like I would forget how to breathe if I were to actually stand in the midst of it all. <3 arches <3

June 8, 2015 at 4:48 pm

It’s literally like being on another planet. Mind-blowing beauty no matter where you look. Make Nate take you there. lol. But really.

June 8, 2015 at 5:13 pm
  • Reply Nancy

Great Pictures! You can tell you had a blast and the tent camping looks fun, I have been to both and loved both places. Now you need to go to Bryce Canyon and Zion!!

June 9, 2015 at 3:41 am

I’m dying to visit Zion!!!!! And Bryce Canyon too! Thanks, we definitely were having a blast 🙂

June 9, 2015 at 10:57 am
  • Reply mimiyu77

Very impressive! I have never been to the US besides California and NY, but after reading this definitely want to go sometime! You say you guys are not really hikers/climbers, so I wonder if it was very hard to walk around and hike? Or is it for all publics?

Thanks!

June 9, 2015 at 3:53 am

There is soooooooooooo much to see in the US in between the coasts — I personally think NYC is super overrated. The hiking trails we took were really easy, anyone could walk them! There are more difficult/longer ones throughout the park but the trails we took were definitely doable for the general public.

June 9, 2015 at 10:56 am
  • Reply ottergardens

We missed out on Canyonlands, so I enjoyed seeing your pictures. Arches was amazing, and we really enjoyed Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon

June 11, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Can’t wait to visit Capitol Reef & Bryce Canyon (and Zion) someday!

June 11, 2015 at 4:15 pm
  • Reply Alex Hurst

Absolutely gorgeous. I want to go back there so badly!!! 🙂

Thanks for the follow. Looking forward to getting to know each other better!

June 13, 2015 at 9:29 am
  • Reply Jennifer's Journal

Wow, these photos are incredible!

June 18, 2015 at 10:10 pm
  • Reply She won’t make it 6 months | skyward eyes

[…] In April, I fell into a healthier life routine — meaning I started going to bed and waking up early again, I started eating better, I went to work every day and became acquainted with my new responsibilities on the job. I spent Easter in Dallas with my mom and some extended family. At the end of the month, 3 of my best pals visited me (including my 2 Peru travel mates) and we journeyed to western Colorado and the desert in Moab, Utah. […]

September 14, 2015 at 6:09 am
  • Reply skyward eyes - the magic of zion national park

[…] all national parks in the state of Utah – the Mighty 5! here are my posts are my trips to arches (and arches again two years later!), capitol reef, and bryce […]

July 6, 2017 at 7:42 am