Postcard from the Denver Botanic Gardens

I moved to Colorado just about 9 months ago, and since I arrived in this state in January, I’ve spent very little of that time in the city of Denver itself. Colorado is a beautiful state with endless opportunities to have a good time — I just find that most of those opportunities involve the great outdoors! In nature! In the mountains! Not in Denver!

Denver has a handful of attractions, I suppose… I’ve been to a few Rockies games at Coors Field, strolled along the 16th Street Mall in LoDo, wandered through City Park, saw a concert at the Ogden Theater, and of course, indulged in some renowned craft beer at a few breweries/bars. A few days ago I visited My Brother’s Bar — as any true Kerouac fan would do while in Denver — and sampled some ice cream at Little Man Ice Cream, both in the Highlands. And yep, all of these activities were quite enjoyable.

There is a youthful, fresh, semi-edgy vibe to parts of Denver that I really enjoy, but since relocating to Colorado I haven’t found anything in the city that is just soooo Denver. Does anyone else feel this way? Or have any suggestions? I’ve asked around — to both “natives” and “transplants” — and haven’t really come up with any attractions in the city that are uniquely Denver. (Yes, Red Rocks is close by and is definitely worth seeing, but I’m talking in Denver.)

DSC_0249

IMG_3066IMG_3051

ANYWAY, when Amy came to visit, I wanted to take her to a place in Denver that she would like and where we could enjoy being outside — and we settled on the Denver Botanic Gardens! Amy loves arboretums, and so do I, and we spent a few hours meandering through the grounds. The Botanic Gardens was buzzing with couples and families and old folks, and I HIGHLY recommend spending a morning or afternoon here. In a city with (in my eyes) somewhat limited options for outdoor fun, we had a lot of fun strolling through the gardens.

IMG_3048

IMG_3100

IMG_3036IMG_3077IMG_3101 IMG_3104IMG_3098IMG_3083

Have you ever been to Denver Botanic Gardens? Are there another city’s botanic gardens that you would recommend?

• Reply camerapacker

The Botanic Garden is a highlight of Denver for me and you have captured it neatly. I particularly some of the more tightly cropped images of cacti, flowers and other plants.
    Enjoy Colorado.

September 28, 2015 at 8:30 am

Well thank you very much! It was a nice visit.

September 28, 2015 at 11:53 am
  • Reply acquiescent72

Great pictures! The Botanic Gardens are Awesome, for sure! There are lots of things to check out around Denver, and the Front Range, but there is nothing that compares to the mountains – in fact, they are dangerous and you should stay away from them and discourage anyone you know from going to the mountains….seriously, leave them to us native Coloradoans. 😉 (I’m kidding, obviously…I just love the mountains.)

September 28, 2015 at 11:16 am

Thank you! I spent all weekend in the San Juans and it was magical. I know you’re kidding but that native Coloradan elitist attitude is my least favorite part of being here!

September 28, 2015 at 11:54 am
      • Reply acquiescent72

ROFL! Well, I can tell you, that most of us are actually really welcoming, but we have watched such a massive influx of people over the past 20 years, it’s a bit disheartening. I can remember taking 60 minutes to get to Silverthorne and back and now it takes almost 2 hours on the weekend. I can remember going hiking and not seeing one soul all day long, and now you see 50+ people on any given day.
        The San Juans are awesome! I used to live in the San Luis Valley, and loved it down there.

September 28, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I’m not in love with the state enough to stay long term, so when I leave that’ll be one less person for you to see on the trails 🙂

September 28, 2015 at 12:48 pm
          • acquiescent72

haha! Well, I hope you are able to enjoy what you can while here! 🙂

September 28, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I see you made quite a few new friends on this excursion. lolllllll love it.

September 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm

LOL. Making new pals everywhere I go.

September 28, 2015 at 12:48 pm
  • Reply wyattsteele

Great pictures! I’ve never been to Colorado, but I’d definitely like to after seeing this!

September 29, 2015 at 11:06 am

Thank you! Yes! You should definitely visit Colorado!

September 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm
  • Reply Notes on leaving & delayed withdrawal | skyward eyes

[…] really like Colorado. I like Boulder, where I worked and played. I like Denver enough, which never really felt like a real city to me, but it was clean and safe and quiet. I like […]

December 22, 2015 at 7:27 am
  • Reply strollin’ thru Denver Botanic Gardens – lameyland

[…] obviously took way too many pictures of flowers. It was as pretty in fall as it was last time Kristen and I went in the springtime. It’s my very strong opinion that one should not go to Denver and miss the […]

December 13, 2016 at 6:29 pm